NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2003-02 > 1045554711

From: Rod Smith <>
Subject: [NZ] Wellington Lunatic Asylum
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:52:39 +1300

To follow current questions on the list, I've just had a look in Louis Ward's "Early Wellington" and found an interesting paragraph, p.239....."the original mental hospital was established at Karori in the early 1850s, accommodating a few patients. The first person to be admitted entered the institution in 1854, and it was four years before the second patient was presented..." The para contains an ambiguous sentence about the time of transferring the hospital to Mount View, either 1875 or 1897. I'm sure I've heard or read somewhere but can't recall where that Mount View was on the site of the present Government House near the Basin Reserve and the view was of Mt. Victoria.

This thread: