NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2005-12 > 1134427473

From: "Derek Dow" <>
Subject: RE: [NZ] Pre 1860 burials in Auckland
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:44:33 +1300

Hi Julie

I can shed some further light on Ken Baker's email. Henry John Andrews
(medical qualifications unknown) arrived in Auckland in 1849 and served
as coroner to the community from 18 January 1855 until his death on 11
June 1858.

TF McGauran is Thomas Francis McGauran, who qualified in medicine as a
Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1843. He became
resident medical officer to Auckland Hospital in 1848, then medical
superintendent from 1856. He was also appointed Auckland provincial
surgeon in July 1856, an appointment he held until 1859 when he was
removed form office because of his alleged incompetence. He later moved
to Australia and was medical officer to the immigration hospital in
Melbourne.

You can find details on many of the early Auckland coroners' inquests in
Laurie Gluckman, Touching on Deaths: A Medical History of Early Auckland
Based on the First 384 Inquests, Auckland, 2000. This will also direct
you to the original records

Derek