NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2007-07 > 1185529764

From: "Gail (Te Kohanga)" <>
Subject: Re: [NZ] Euphemia Buchanan
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:49:24 +1200

Hi Malcolm
You will no doubt have received wonderful information from other much
more experienced people on this list, but I have taken an interest
because of the predominance of Buchanan frequently surfacing in my
family. (Unfortunately, this weekend I do not have acces to a PC to
look at my Electoral roll or NZGS Marriage CD to give any further
detail per the 1st 4 points below. Currently I am working from an
iMac which does not have PC emulation software)

But back to my 1st glance findings on your behalf, and you did say
ANY Buchanans:-
1. At Inchclutha (near Dunedin, Otago, in the Stirling parish
Presbyterian Archives is listed the marriage of Grace Buchanan at age
28 to Ramsay 9 Jan 1880)
2. At Papakura (near Auckland and so unlikely to be your lady,
especially as the dates are wrong), Euphemia Buchanan at age 21
married McGill 19 Oct 1876
3. At Anderson's Bay (Dunedin, Otago), Euphemia Buchanan M Thompson
14/06/1876
4. Lillias Buchanan (ditto), of full age married Nichol on 1 Sept 1865.

Arriving Otago on the Philip Laing 1848 were these passengers:
(http://www.ngaiopress.com/lainglst.htm)

PHILIP LAING, 459 tons, sailed from Greenock on 23/11/1847, and
Milford Haven on 20/12/1847, and arrived on 15/4/1848. Captain A J
EIles; Dr Robert Ramsay, surgeon.PHILIP LAING, 459 tons, sailed from
Greenock on 23/11/1847, and Milford Haven on 20/12/1847, and arrived
on 15/4/1848. Captain A J EIles; Dr Robert Ramsay, surgeon.
Buchanan, James (44)
Buchanan, John (46) [weaver, beadle; Great King St; d. 26/3/1880];
Margaret née McCulloch, wife (40 [d. 1/9/1900); Isabella (3) [d.
14/10/1864]; Jeanie (3 months) [m. James Stevenson, d. 16/2/1926].
Buchanan, Thomas (42) [weaver, farmer; West Taieri; d. 16/7/1876];
Margaret née Graham, wife (40) [d. 22/6/1884]; Gilbert (20) [ag.; m.
Elizabeth née Dalziel (ex Philip Laing); West Taieri; d. 24/2/1913];
James (15) [ag.; never married; West Taieri; d. 28/10/1913]; Ellen
(9) [d. 16/1/1913]; John (8) [d. 31/5/1874]; David (4) [d.
11/8/1927]; Jessie (3) [d. 27/3/1876].

The following Buchanans are listed on the Balclutha NZGS site for
burials: http://www.balcluthagenealogy.org.nz/index.htm

You will see a Euphemia listed as being buried in the old Balclutha
Cemetery

BUCHANAN A Mr Faith of our Fathers
BUCHANAN Alan Awamunga School APW
BUCHANAN Alistair Awamunga School APW
BUCHANAN Andrew Lovells Flat 1854-1975
BUCHANAN Andrew Balclutha Burials 1912-1992
BUCHANAN Annette Schools by the Seaside
BUCHANAN Annette Mrs Schools by the Seaside
BUCHANAN Baby Balclutha Burials 1912-1992
BUCHANAN Callum Schools by the Seaside
BUCHANAN Charlotte Louisa Milton (Fairfax) Cemetery
BUCHANAN Christina Isobel Owaka School APW
BUCHANAN D Awamunga School APW
BUCHANAN D B In the Crook of the Clutha
BUCHANAN D G Balclutha School 65th Anniversary
BUCHANAN D G In the Crook of the Clutha
BUCHANAN Dav In the Crook of the Clutha
BUCHANAN David Kaitangata Old Cemetery
BUCHANAN David J Beyond the Blue Mountains
BUCHANAN Douglas Blair Balclutha Burials 1912-1992
BUCHANAN E Owaka School APW
BUCHANAN E Mrs Owaka School APW
BUCHANAN E. Beyond the Blue Mountains
BUCHANAN Euphemia Balclutha Old Cemetery
BUCHANAN Gen Miss Full Circle
BUCHANAN George Francis Balclutha Burials 1912-1992
BUCHANAN Glenn Schools by the Seaside
BUCHANAN Gregor McGregor Milton (Fairfax) Cemetery
BUCHANAN Helen Mary Owaka School APW
BUCHANAN J P Beyond the Blue Mountains
BUCHANAN James Schools by the Seaside
BUCHANAN Janet Elsie Genevieve Owaka School APW
BUCHANAN Jas. Reminiscences of Early Settlement
BUCHANAN John Beyond the Blue Mountains
BUCHANAN Linda Schools by the Seaside
BUCHANAN Louisa Helen Balclutha Burials 1912-1992
BUCHANAN Margaret Bathia Balclutha Burials 1912-1992
BUCHANAN Margaret Eva Balclutha Burials 1912-1992
BUCHANAN Mary Balclutha Burials 1912-1992
BUCHANAN Mary M In the Crook of the Clutha
BUCHANAN Mary M Full Circle
BUCHANAN Mary Mrs In the Crook of the Clutha
BUCHANAN May Isobel Awamunga School APW
BUCHANAN Mrs Beyond the Blue Mountains
BUCHANAN n/r Balclutha Old Cemetery
BUCHANAN R O Beyond the Blue Mountains
BUCHANAN Rebecca Owaka Cemetery
BUCHANAN Robert Owaka School APW
BUCHANAN Rose Patience Owaka Cemetery
BUCHANAN Ruth Ivy Owaka Cemetery
BUCHANAN S A Faith of our Fathers
BUCHANAN SMITH Clutha Leader
BUCHANAN Stuart Alister Balclutha Burials 1912-1992
BUCHANAN Thomas Benjamin Owaka Cemetery
BUCHANAN W. R. Beyond the Blue Mountains
BUCHANAN Reminiscences of Early Settlement
BUCHANAN Waipori Centennial

Maybe there has been something here to enthuse you to go to another
area and ask questions??

Gail (Te Kohanga)

Researching Riddell, Nic(h)olson and Law (Otago), Bowles (ChCh &
Auck), Clarke & Coffey (Waimate)