NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2007-10 > 1193653664

From: Margaret Nicholas <>
Subject: Re: [NZ] Prisoner of debt, lighterman
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:27:44 +1300 (NZDT)

Thank you to all who responded with this query, you have been very helpful. I couldn't help wondering what professions would no longer exist in 150 years time??? Thank you too for those who pointed out that in 1860 Queen Victoria was on the throne so it should have read Her Majesty's prison. I am still trying to find out more about people who were imprisoned for debt....Cheers, Margaret

Margaret Nicholas <> wrote: Hi all. I have found a reference to a person through Archives as being a " prisoner of Debt" in His Majesty's prison. Does anyone know if it is possible to obtain this person's prisoners records. They refer to the late 1860's.
Also, his occupation was given as a lighterman - does anyone know what this is? ( I have an idea but would like to know for sure ) Cheers, Margaret

The List Guidelines

http://new-zealand-l.blogspot.com/