NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-02 > 1203251018

From: "John Wilson" <>
Subject: Re: [NZ] Hospitals North Island
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 01:23:38 +1300

Hi Leanne:

Re Military hospitals or sanitoriums in New Zealand post-WWI:
Trentham in the southern part of Upper Hutt in the Hutt Valley still has a
military base, see for a 1939 view of Trentham (or search the website for
Trentham):
http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/WH2PMed-fig-WH2PMe39a.html

Featherston had the largest Military Training Camp in NZ in WWI, with a
hospital. For some views of Featherston Camp from a 1917 booklet see:
http://www.diggerhistory3.info/featherston/page/09-photos2.htm

There were Sanitoriums at Rotorua and Te Aroha, but they were associated
with "taking the (mineral) waters" rather than ex-servicemen I think??
If your great-great-aunt was a registered nurse in the 1920s, she would be
listed in the annual lists of nurses in the New Zealand Gazette.

Yours, John Wilson

> I am wondering if anyone could give me an idea of any Military
> convalescent homes or Sanatoriums on the North Island in the late 20's. My
> great great aunt was with the Red Cross for awhile and worked in NZ for
> awhile and I am still trying to identify the hospital in my photo which
> seems it could be on the North Island.
>
> Thankyou
> Kindest regards
> Leanne