NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-02 > 1203580567

From: Wendy Howard <>
Subject: Re: [NZ] Do you know anyone with the surname Gosselin ?
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:56:07 +1300

Hi Syd,

"I am researching a family with the surname Gosselin"

What a lovely distinct name! :-)

My first thought, before I'd even finished reading your post, was to
check the NZSG CD "New Zealand Marriages 1836-1956"
(http://www.genealogy.org.nz/Sales_11.aspx?CategoryId=11), but your
surname does not appear there, so none of the family married here. Nor
are there any listed on the "New Zealand Burial Locator" (same URL),
though this is not a complete index.

Next was Archway (http://archway.archives.govt.nz/), the online index
for Archives New Zealand (http://www.archives.govt.nz/) - and there is
just one entry which sounds rather curious!

Miscellaneous papers and correspondence
Pacific Islands - Confidential letter from Mr Gosselin to the Marquess
of Salisbury re Pacific Islands. 26 June 1897 Rt. Hon. Richard John
Seddon [Record Group]
Agency: SEDDON, Series: 2, Box/Item: 13a

Seddon is a former Prime Minister of NZ.

Files at Archives can be viewed in person at the office holding the file
for free (what an excuse for an overseas holiday!), or you could ask
here on the list for someone to visit the Wellington office for you, or
you can request a copy to be sent to you for a charge. There is
information on the Archives web site about this.

"A family "story" has Philippe losing a lot of cattle due to the
eruption of a volcano, but I have yet to find something to back this up.
Are there or were there any volcanoes around Rangiora/Christ Church that
erupted in the late 1800's ?"

Not in the Canterbury area that I'm aware of (I don't know of any
volcanoes in the South Island although there is geothermal activity in
parts, but that's not to say there aren't/weren't any), but Tarawera
near Rotorua in the North Island erupted in 1886 causing major damage in
the area. See
http://www.teara.govt.nz/NewZealanders/MaoriNewZealanders/TeArawa/5/en
for some background.

Hope this helps. :-)