NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1214970938

From: Althea <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Early Auckland Sheriffs and prisons
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:55:38 +1000 (EST)

Brian wrote

Could some kind soul please let me know in what publication(s) I can find an
account of the first prison in colonial Auckland (i.e., from ~1840) which
covers jailers (gaolers), location and the colonial city police? Also, if
possible to please advise whether there was more or less in the same period,
and unrelated to each other, a gaoler with the surname of BERRY and a
sheriff with the same surname BERRY?  Thank you.

--------------------------------
Dear Brian
At Auckland Library site there is an early police census 1842-6
quote: "This is the only surviving census for Auckland area households and their inhabitants for the 19th century. It was carried out each year from 1842 to 1846. Note that the names of children and wives are not given."
There are several BERRY's
http://www.aucklandlibrary.co.nz/findyoursubject/digitallibrary/historyandgenealogydigitallibrary.htm
including a sheriff
Name Berry, Percival Year/Location 1845 Princes Street Notes Status: owner of property/occupant
Title: Esq
Occupation: sherriff
Page: 66
Search at