NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1215208098

From: "Stuart Park" <>
Subject: [nz] 1900s Adoption
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 09:48:18 +1200

I have the photocopied extract from the NZ Births Register for a relation
born in 1895, showing her to be illegitimate. When her birth mother married
in 1905, her birth mother's childless sister (her aunt) and the sister's
husband (her uncle) took the girl and raised her as their own. When she
married in 1919, she used the surname of her aunt and uncle on her marriage
certificate. Her illegitimacy was well known in the family then and
subsequently.

How can I find out if she was formally adopted by her aunt and uncle, or
whether this was simply an informal arrangement?

Stuart Park
PO Box 836
Kerikeri, New Zealand 0245

This thread: