NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1215239971

From: Wendy Howard <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Public Trustee
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 18:39:31 +1200

Hi Jenny,

"The Public Trustee was appointed administrator of a will after the
Executors named in the will refused, to execute it..."

How do you know this? The answer may help you take the next step.

Is the probate/letter of administration listed on Archway
(http://archway.archives.govt.nz/)? If it is, you should view the file
(if you can get to the office holding it) or purchase a copy of the
file. This will probably answer most of your questions; there should be
declarations or similar to explain why the appointed executors
could/would not perform their duties.

If it's not listed, make enquiries at Archives New Zealand
(http://www.archives.govt.nz/) to see if it is held - the Archway index
is not complete, but a work in progress. If they come back and say
they've got it, go and view it or get a copy sent to you. Or the
archivist can write a report for you if you wish. This could incur
fees, so ask for details before you go too far.

Be warned if you contact Archives for assistance - I have found they are
notorious for not answering this sort of email until they have answers
for you, so it might be weeks before you get a reply! But they are
fantastic at what they do. Try asking for them to acknowledge receipt
of the email straight away, so you know it's reached someone - I haven't
tried doing this, but it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps. :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard

*** Please reply to the list ***