NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1215327164

From: "Graham Lewis" <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Fwd: New Version CD
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 16:52:44 +1000

You sound a bit as if you're cutting off your nose to spite your face, Paul.
The NZSG, like any family history society, costs money to run (premises,
staff, computers, books, CDs etc) so you can't reasonably expect them to
give away all their services for free. They simply have to make ends meet,
from fees for service, and profits on CD and other publications, as well as
subscriptions. It's only reasonable then that they give members -
subscription-payers - some preference in the pricing of CDs etc, rather than
giving free-loaders full rein.

I don't get to NZ very often, but I reckon that the NZSG deserves the
support of any serious NZ family historian, and am happy to have been a
member for most of the 44 years I've lived in Australia. If you feel
alienated I reckon you must be pretty unusual - I've never met anyone at
NZSG Panmure or branches who was anything other than welcoming and very
helpful. As for "blackmail" - get real! The NZSG products are good value
at either member or non-member prices.

Graham Lewis
Sydney