NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1215338052

From: "Rod & Glen Smith" <>
Subject: [nz] WW1 service - voluntary? - and Tb
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 21:54:47 +1200

I'm researching Henry (Harry) Arnold Adamson and puzzled by events at the time of WW1. Adamson was born in 1892 which would make him 22 at the outbreak in 1914. He was single at the time. I would have thought he would have been in the right group for conscription, if that was in fact the policy for WW1. But I can't find him on Archway. He actually died of Tb in 1919. I've been referred to a WW1 "roll" where he is shown as a student at Coronation Hospital in Christchurch. How many years could a young man be suffering from Tb? What would the scenarios be for him? Called up? Too ill to enlist? Admitted to Coronation Hospital? Died after 3-5 years treatment? Opinions welcomed. Thanks.

This thread: