NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1215377819

From: "Mary Skipworth" <>
Subject: [nz] Work of NZSG Branches
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 08:57:23 +1200

The activities of Palmerston North Branch of NZSG mirror what Anna has
described for Hamilton. Our members do duty at the Public Library, where we
help all comers on Friday mornings, and Saturday and Sunday afternoons. It
is true that we mention our Branch as a further resource which members of
the public can consider using, but there is certainly no distinction about
who is or is not helped by the library volunteers.

If there were no NZSG, and no Branches, who would organise a roster of
volunteers to provide this service?

Another recently completed project in our Branch has been a complete
revision of the transcriptions of Kelvin Grove cemetery. Two thousand pages
of printout will be included in the next update of the NZSG cemeteries
collection on microfiche, which is available free of charge at public
libraries throughout the country. NZSG members have worked many thousands
of hours over a five year period to produce this work for the benefit of the
public at large. This kind of record of service to the community has
persuaded the Charities Commission that NZSG is entitled to the status of a
registered charity. This would not have been the case if we benefited our
members only.

Mary Skipworth

This thread: