NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1215378208

From: "Heather Bray" <>
Subject: [nz] Birth registered twice
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:03:35 +1200

I have just received a birth certificate for a great aunt and it appears her birth was registered twice - a year apart. She was born in Lawrence on 11 March 1903 and the birth was registered by her father on 21 March 1903. Then I have a second birth certificate with identical information on it but it was registered, again by her father, on 9 September 1904. It even has the signature of the same registrar.
There is no mention of the second certificate being a late registration.
It is definitely for the same child. She is child no 3 of 6 children. A younger sibling was born in June 1905.
The birth date on both certificates is the same and confirmed by her school admission records so it is not a case of one child dying and a second child born soon after being given the same name. But just to confirm I have looked for a death but there is none.
You would think that if the father thought he had not registered the child and did it a second time the registrar would have checked back to see if there was already a registration. There can't have been a lot of births registered in that time period in Lawrence.
Anyone else think of some other reason for two birth certificates?
Heather

Heather and Kevin Bray
28 Milburn Street, Corstorphine
Dunedin 9012, New Zealand