NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1215478093

From: Althea <>
Subject: Re: [nz] William REES
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 10:48:13 +1000 (EST)

Chris wrote::

Hi all,
Back from a little break.
I'm wondering when the gold rush started in NZ?

I'm looking for a William REES born in Wales in c1808. He originally was
transported from Wales to Tasmania and was pardoned in 1847. I can't find
any trace of him in Australia but he had a descendent who was in WW1 because
when this young chap was on leave in England he went searching for his
ancestors in Wales.

William REES did marry in Tasmania to a Frances CODE.

It's a big ask I know but if someone can help me,I'd be most appreciative.

Kae has a gold miners database
http://www.kaelewis.com/goldminers/gold-searchpage.htm he is not there
1861 http://tpo.tepapa.govt.nz/ViewTopicExhibitDetail.asp?ExhibitID=0x000a4c57&Language=English first big gold rush
other finds in the 1850's
Do you think William and Frances moved here from Tasmania? What year did they marry, or are you looking for him in NZ before his marriage
There are lots of William Rees and Frances in NZ pre 1900, do you have a middle name to help
BYe
Althea

This thread: