NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1215754532

From: Sue Kelso <>
Subject: [nz] Louisa KEMP, formerly COX, nee BROWN
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 15:35:32 +1000

With some help from a kind lister and looking at Family Search, it
appears that Louisa Harriet Brown first married Henry B. Cox in
1872. Family Search submission says that he was Henry Byng Cox and
that they married on 27 Dec 1872 at Stanmore Rd, Christchurch, Canterbury.

Then there is an entry for Henry's death on 29 Jan 1873!! He was
apparently 41 years old. Their marriage lasted just one month. I
have just found on the NZ Archives site that there is a probate for
him at the Christchurch Archives and that he was a stock driver.

Also there is the death of their child before their marriage: Percy
Douglas Cox on 22 Dec 1872, who was supposedly born in Christchurch
sometime earlier that year.

I enjoy the challenge of sorting out the pieces of these puzzles.

Sue

>>Message: 13
>>Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:46:41 +1000
>>From: Sue Kelso <>
>>Subject: [nz] Alfred Herbert KEMP
>>
>>I have Alfred Herbert KEMP born on 2nd September 1879 in Nelson to
>>Edward Alfred Kemp and Louisa Cox.
>>
>>He had a twin sister Alice Ann who only lived four months and was
>>buried with her grandmother Ann Brown and later her mother, Louisa in
>>1906 in Wakapuaka Cemetery, Atawhai, Nelson.
>>
>>Using Papers Past I found him and his father reported in the
>>newspaper Evening Post 19th Jan 1915 in civil cases against William
>>Hall or Hull.
>>
>>There is an entry in the Karori Cemetery, Wellington for an Edward
>>Alfred Kemp buried 7th September 1935, aged 89.
>>
>>Does anyone know anything else about this family?
>>

>>Louisa COX was born Louisa Harriet Brown and is buried with her
>>mother Ann Brown, nee Pitman. Ann had travelled out to New Zealand
>>with her son Walter Edwin Brown on the "Bard of Avon" in 1863.
>>We do not know when Louisa arrived in New Zealand, nor when she married COX.
>>
>>Anyone with clues about Louisa?
>>
>>Regards
>>Sue

This thread: