NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1215999274

From: "Mabel Harvey" <>
Subject: Re: [nz] WILLET
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:34:34 +1000

Hi Carol can't help with Elizabeth but wondered if this is William:

Wm POLLARD arrived on the ship Strathnaver on 1/9/1974 Wellington, NZ. He
was aged 21 a Labourer and assisted immigrant.

The link for the site is below

http://www.huttcity.govt.nz/Council-Facilities/Museums--Galleries/Petone-Settlers-Museum/Passenger-Database/Post.aspx

On the marriage cert you have does it give William's age as about 23- 24 as
if it does then it could be your man, although ages on marriage certs are
not always reliable as I found out especially if the couple are trying to
hide something such as a large age gap, bride is older, or is under age and
doesn't have parents permission.

If the age seems rght you may find something more in Primary records and as
this person was assisted may be something there.

Also from memory around this period there were a lot of assisted immigrants
going to the Taranaki area to open it up for further settlement.

Anyway hope it leads to something

Good luck

Mabel