NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1216014257

From: Amanda Dickson <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Invercargill in Cromwell Presbyterian parish
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 22:44:17 -0700 (PDT)

hi Les,

I am sure if you look at the dates of marriage and date of registration you may find these differ. I would suggest the couple married at Invercargill before heading to Cromwell, probably to work. The goldrush at Lawrence began about 1861 and then spread up the river to Cromwell (1862), The Arrow and the Shotover. Maybe they then registered the marriage when they got to Cromwell. They may have thought there wouldnt be a religious minister to officiate as many travelled and were available once a week. During 1864 there was very little in the way of "built" churches. In the early days of inland Otago and West Otago church services were held at the home of prominent citizens or on runholder properties. As an interest in the earliest times Cromwell was called "The Junction", where the Clutha and Kawarau Rivers converge.

amanda