NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1216127218

From: "Janet" <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Scottish Religion
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:06:58 +0100

There are many pages of data regarding religion via Google or the other search engines on line. http://www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/scottish_anatomy/religion_scotland.html Where the happy couple were of different religions they may not have married in church at all. They might not have been able to pay the fee if they did want a formal marriage. Many of them were too poor so this is why you might see what appears to be a regular address, perhaps the address of one of the parties, even though the banns were called. I hope that the urls I have supplied go some way to explaining the position.

http://homepages.tesco.net/~scotlandweb/aboutscot/scot003.html

Presbyterian:
http://christianity.about.com/od/presbyteriandenomination/a/presbyhistory.htm

The Cof S
http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Scotland

Free CofS:
http://www.fpchurch.org.uk/

Google hits:
http://tinyurl.com/6hxtug

I think its also worth a mention that the position of the Kirk Sessions was in getting fees for those who committed crimes, predominantly pre marriage fornication and for those fees to be paid to maintain the poor. This is where British Poor Law has its roots. I have a Minute of a Kirk Session dated 1818 if anyone would like to see it off list.

Janet