NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1216159073

From: Kae Lewis <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Thames Goldminer?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:57:53 -0400

Marilyn,
Karaka Creek was the main goldfield of Thames and goes right through
the center of the modern-day town of Thames. You can see it today by
going up behind the hospital and looking at the steep gully behind
it. Look on my webpage, just at the bottom of the search box page,
there is a map showing all the creeks at Thames where they found gold.
http://www.kaelewis.com/goldminers/gold-searchpage.htm

I have heard it said that in New Zealand in the 1860s, many family men
got gold fever and abandoned their families to chase after the gold.
And I don't think it was uncommon for them never to come back.

Anyone interested in Thames history might like to look at the new
website we have started for The Treasury, a repository for family
records of Thames and the entire Coromandel district which is
presently being developed by The Coromandel Heritage Trust:
www.TheTreasury.org.nz.

Kae Lewis

On Jul 15, 2008, at 5:40 PM, wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:07:39 +0900
> From: Watson Family <>
> Subject: Re: [nz] Goldminer? Louis Peterson
>
> Hi Kae,
> many thanks for that Kae
> So where abouts is Karaka in the Thames Province?
> cheers Marilyn

This thread: