NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1216341863

From: Graham Hoult <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Questions now I have Death print out [CONLON]
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:44:23 +1200

Hi Karen

>is there a way to find out the names please of the listed children,
>without buying printouts/certificates?

Not really, unless you find them named in a will.

CONLON isn't too common a surname.

If you have access to the NZ BDM indexes the obvious thing is to
search the birth indexes for the period when the children were born

... then use the "District Keys" booklets (usually held in
conjunction with the B & D index fiche) to determine where each birth
was registered. You may be able to spot likely children.

But you won't know *for sure* unless you see the registration
printout or a certificate.

>When he died he had three living children son age 20 = 1910, and two
>daughters aged 22 = 1908 and aged 18 = 1912. The family are in Lower
>Hutt by 1928 and remained there.

OK, you are looking for

a female CONLON born c 1908
a male CONLON born c 1910
a female CONLON born c 1912

but it would be wise to look for births from and including 1907, the
year that they married

>How do people find out please about any children, that died before the parent?

T'aint easy in NZ, and often families didn't talk about children who
died young.

You may spot birth and death registration index entries that match -
but you really need to confirm by seeing the registration printout or
a certificate.

Usual source of clues

Family bible entries

mentioned in Family correspondence

family recall (it might only be that "mum lost a child between X and Y")

Death notices

Cemetery memorial inscriptions

Parish register entries for baptisms and burials

Cemetery on-line databases

I can say that the Wellington Cemeteries and Crematorium database
http://www.wellington.govt.nz/services/cemeteries/search/search.php
doesn't have any CONLON entries

and that the Upper Hutt Cty Council has two CONLON listed at Akatarawa cemetery
http://www.uhcc.govt.nz/page/71/Cemetery.boss

It can be a useful exercise to record all the B,D & M index entries
for a surname that isn't very common, determine where births and
deaths were registered, then try to 'place' the people.

Archives NZ's Archway website indicates that a person called Sydney
James CONLON applied for a restaurant licence in Auckland in 1961.
Someone to consider?

Hope this helps
Graham Hoult
Kirwee, Canterbury