NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1216524241

From: "Tony Smith" <>
Subject: [nz] THOMAS MARTIN - FATHER OF ARTHUR ANDERSON MARTIN
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:24:01 +1000

Hi everyone, greetngs from Sydney, Australia.

I am researching Thomas Martin who married Jessie Anderson at Cromwell on 9 December 1872 - I have a copy of the certificate.

They were the parents of Arthur Anderson Martin, a surgeon who was killed in World War 1.

As Arthur had a brother Elias, I obtained Elias birth certificate, born 30 January 1887.

This also gives father as Thomas Martin and mother as Jessie Anderson.

When Thomas marries in 1872, he gives his age as 31 and Jessie says she is 20.

On Elias birth certificate in 1887, Thomas says he is 40 and Jessie says she is 30.

Thomas further says he was born in County Waterford, Ireland (wish he had said Tipperary).

Ultimately, I would like to obtain the death certificate for the correct Thomas Martin, to see who his parents were.

There are a number of Thomas Martin deaths in the indexes, which will make this difficult, but he was before retirement, a railway guard and lived for a long time in Lumsden. Thomas was alive in 1916, according to newspaper death reports for Arthur.

Does anyone has any information that may assist.

Regards

Tony Smith

This thread: