NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1216592834

From: Graham Hoult <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Maori-European BDM's
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:27:14 +1200

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 "Chris Holden" <> asked

>Subject: [nz] Maori-European BDM's
>
>I have a fellow, Herbert Walter HUGHES, who immigrated from NSW to NZ in the
>1890's and married who I assume was a Maori woman, Ramari Puti Puti Mu Mu
>and had a family. However I have been having trouble finding BDM details for
>his wife & children. Can anyone suggest where I go from here or can anyone
>help me find them.
>
>Chris
>NSW, Australia

Hi Chris

The NZ Marriages Indexes have their entry
(as found on the NZSG Marriages Index CD)

Marriages 1899 folio 262
HUGHES Herbert Walter
TUTIPUTI Ramari Mumu

You can order a printout of the marriage registration document that
was sent to the Registrar General.

Karen Hodges posted on Thu, 3 Jul 2008

Subject: [nz] NZ BDM and printouts for Australians

that You can order NZ certificates and printouts at the BDM section
of your Australian Dept of Internal Affairs in Sydney Freephone
1300 559 535
and pay only A$18.00. You need only quote the name, year and folio
number (and your credit card details) - order by post or whatever.

The marriage printout will tell you where the marriage took place and
should give you his occupation.

Archives NZ's website http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz indicates
that their Auckland Regional office holds a 1920 probate for

HUGHES Herbert Walter - Hicks Bay - Sheep Farmer [probate] 1920
agency BAJI, series 1594, accession [blank], Box 40, record 853

Does this sound like your man? He may have died the previous year - or earlier.

Hopefully someone who is visiting Archives in Auckland will offer to
have a look at that probate for you to see if any children's names
are mentioned?

One can then go to the birth indexes and look for likely candidates,
then look up on the "District Keys" booklets where the birth was
registered.

Herbert's death registration should have the ages by sex of any
children who survived him.

Hope this helps
Graham Hoult
Kirwee, Canterbury