NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1216672844

From: "Adele Pentony-Graham" <>
Subject: [nz] Charles Rooking Carter
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:40:44 +1200

Today marks the 112th Anniversary of the death of Charles Rooking Carter,
born at Stricklandgate, Kendal and died in Wellington on July 22nd 1896. He
is buried in the old settlers part of Clareville Cemetery., Carterton.

There will be a bunch of daffodils placed on his grave today, by the
undersigned..

Charles Rooking Carter did so much for the early days of Three Mile Bush,
later to be named Carterton in his honour. He was 73 years old.. a much
respected person.. sadly his wife Jean died in Buxton in 1895, and is buried
in a lovely setting of an old English churchyard in Burbage, I have been to
her grave, their only child, Caroline died in London in 1870, she is also
with her mother.

The Carter Observatory is named after Charles Rooking Carter.
Carter Home in Carterton, first built in Moreton Road for aged men, now
rebuilt in town, the original is now a private home and beautiful.
Carter's Bush.. a walk way just out of Carterton.
He bought many valuable books for our town....
He bought a Mummy which is now at Te Papa, used to be on display at The
Dominion Museum. Wellington.

Anyone wanting to learn more, please get in touch... thank you..

If anyone is visiting his grave today, take a look at the Chapel at the
Cemetery, see his name on todays date entered... I arranged this with the
local Funeral Director, had to have Charles' name entered!!! Most
important!!!!

--
Adele Pentony-Graham
Carterton Cemetery Clareville Researcher

This thread: