NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1216687619

From: "Murray Reid" <>
Subject: [nz] Off Topic. Blocking off a chimney.
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:46:59 +1200

I manage a 105 year old Remuera mansion with 10 chimneys. The house is centrally heated and none of the fireplaces will be used again.

They are a constant source of debris and draughts so I would like to block them off.

It is just too complicated and expensive to seal off the chimney tops so I am looking for ideas to effectively (and safely) seal them from below.

The best idea I have come up with is to block them with thick foam, such as is sold by Para Rubber for mattresses.

Someone suggested that in the USA balloons are available just for such a purpose.

Any other ideas?

Murray Reid
Auckland

This thread: