NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1216882677

From: "Mary Legarth" <>
Subject: [nz] Occupation: what is a Carter?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:57:57 +1200

While my N.Z. family research does not show a Carter, my Scottish Carter
was just that.

A Carter drove a horse & cart, delivering whatever, from whichever firm, he
was employed.
e.g. Coal, Milk, Groceries, Vegetables to or from Market, Fish from the
wharf, Mail, Shifting furniture, Fence posts, sometimes included
passengers.
Also, a bit like today's Taxi, but, for someone needing an inexpensive lift
somewhere.
e.g. a Servant off the Train , going to a new position with belongings,
along with the groceries, for the householders.

Mary