NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1216887386

From: "John Wilson" <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Ship Deserters
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:16:26 +1200

Hi Ron:

A lot of information is not online! Re Deserters, 19th century ship
deserters in New Zealand were often listed in the Police Gazettes (New
Zealand & provincial eg Canterbury, Otago). There were some books of
deserters, eg "Ship Deserters 1852-1900" by Jim Melton (1986, published by
the Library of Australian History) which has some New Zealand entries. The
bound Police Gazettes in Archives NZ were indexed by year, so if you have an
approximate year you may find a deserter in an annual Police Gazette index
under his name (probably male!) or under Deserters.

The Maritime History Archive in Newfoundland has many crew lists and
logbooks.
http://www.mun.ca/mha/about.php
The most important of these are the British Registrar General of Shipping
and Seamen series known as Agreements and Account of Crew for British Empire
vessels, which crew lists and logbooks are held at the Maritime History
Archive. The most important of these are the British Registrar General of
Shipping and Seamen series known as Agreements and Account of Crew for
British Empire vessels (1863-1938 & 1951-1976), see:
http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/crewlist.php

Yours, John Wilson (Wellington)

> Is there an online List of persons that deserted their ship in New Zealand
> waters. I am looking for my great grandfather who obviously jumped ship in
> the Wellington harbour about 1874.
>
> Ron

This thread: