NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1216969477

From: Jo Sunbeam <>
Subject: [nz] Help with the name ESTORFFE
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:05:02 +1200

Hi Everyone

I received this email from someone on the India group i think. I would
dearly love some help with it and hope that someone can come up with
something to send Geoffrey. The name could also be von Estorffe or Estorff.

I have looked at F W E Estorffe's war records for WW1 in Britain and it
definitely states he was born in Christchurch New Zealand in 1872. I have
looked for the name at Archway, the NZ marriage disc and WW1 cd and the
CHCH newspapers of Beverley Evans. I have googled the web and googled
books. I have looked at Ancestry.com and IGI, CHCH cemetery database etc.
Google maps shows no Queen Street in Christchurch but that does not mean it
wasn't there in 1894. I have checked version 4 of NZSG.

I look forward to any help from anyone.

Kind regards

Jo

Hi Jo-Anne,

I am trying to trace my father`s side of the family. Can you help?

My grandfather, Frederick William Emil ESTORFFE was born in Christchurch
in 1872 (Known as William). At least, this is the information he gave when
he joined the British Army in 1894. He gave his next of kin as Herman
ESTORFFE of 25 Queen St. Christchurch, although his.father`s name was Emil.

Here the trail goes cold. The Dept of Internal Affairs has no trace of him
in the birth indexes 1840-1982,nothing on the Electoral Roll 1893 and
nothing in the register of persons naturalised in NZ before 1943.