NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1217065321

From: "John Wilson" <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Vessel numbers
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:42:01 +1200

Hi Carolyn:

There is the Miramar Index to powered (ie steam, motor) ships:
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/

or via the website of the late Jeremy Lowe, which has Maritime items
and the local history of Thorndon, Wellington:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~j_lowe/Maritime2.htm

And the Mariners Index includes some sailing ships post-1876:
http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/ON1.htm

But the "Adampt" of pre-1874 is unfortunately too early!

Yours, John Wilson (Wellington)

> Does anyone know how to find out the official number of a migrant ship
> please? I am looking for the number of the Adamant
> that arrived in Nelson on 8 August 1874. My g grandfather Samuel HOY was a
> member of the crew who deserted in Nelson, then years later married
> Elizabeth MERCER who was one of the passengers.
> Many thanks for any help.
> Carolyn

This thread: