NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1217226454

From: "Lee Paltridge" <>
Subject: [nz] Intention to Marry lookup please
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:29:45 +0800

If someone going to the archives office is able to do an ITM lookup for
this couple, I would be very grateful.

Alexander Miller TAIT married Jane Elizabeth VICKERY at the Auckland
Registry Office on 9 December 1879 (have copy of cert).

I have Jane's arrival in Auckland in June 1866 on the Queen of the North,
but am doubtful about the record I have for Alexander.
When he died in 1923, his death certificate 'length of time in NZ' - 62
years, gives an arrival about 1861, but I would like confirmation of that
if possible. He was a seaman and seems more likely to have arrived as crew
from Australia, where he had been for some time, rather than as a passenger
from the UK on the Gananoque in October 1861 which is the only arrival to
match. There were several Alexander Taits in Auckland in the late 19C. The
Archives office did not have any passenger details for that period so was
unable to confirm if he was the right one. I have only learnt about these
Intentions to Marry from recent list postings, so that might be the only
place to find out any more. I do hope someone can help.

Regards

Lee
Perth, Western Australia

This thread: