NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2008-07 > 1217288299

From: Graham Hoult <>
Subject: Re: [nz] BURNETT FAMILY CHCH
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:38:19 +1200

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 "LORI ADKINS" <> asked

>Subject: [nz] BURNETT FAMILY CHCH
>
>Dear List,
>
>I am looking for some information on John Burnett and his wife Sarah
>(nee) Thollar. They lived in West Melton and had 5 children. I am
>trying to find out where and when John and Sarah died.
>
>Also any school records for there children or anything else on them.
>Children Robert Thollar BURNETT, Lester Thollar BURNETT, Melva
>Thollar BURNETT and maybe 2 more. Thank you
>
>Kind Regards
>Lori

and Mabel found

>*Marriage*
>
>1902 Robert Thollar BURNETT m Edith Loura PARRIS Folio2531
>
>1933 Lester Thollar BURNETT m Ester Annie BURNETT F05500
>
>*Burial*
>
>Lester Thollar BURNETT
>Died 5th February 1992 Buried 10th Feb 1992
>Ruru Lawn Cemetery
>Block 40 Plot 112
>Age 80born abt 1912
>Furniture Salesman
>Born Christchurch
> *Also*: His wife Esther Annie buried in same plot
>
>Robert Thollar BURNETT
>Died 11th Jan 1940 Buried 13th Jan 1940
>Bromeley Cemetery
>Block 14 Plot 178
>Age 60born abt 1880
>Address 370 Ferry Road, Christchurch
>Labourer
>Born West Melton
> *Also*: Wife Edith Laura buried in same plot
>
>The marriages are from the NZSG Marriages disk and the burials from the CCC
>Cemeteries database on line

Hi Lori

There appears to be about a 30 year age difference between the births
of Robert Thollar BURNETT (b.abt 1880?) and Lester Thollar BURNETT
(b.abt 1911?). Perhaps these two are father and son?

Just to put a time frame on this family I had a look for the marriage
of John and Sarah BURNETT. It would seem that they married in England
in 1860.

FreeBMD has:
Marriages Mar 1860
BURNETT John Bridlington 9d445
THOLLAR Sarah Bridlington 9d445

Is this a report of John's death?

ACCIDENTS AND FATALITIES.
Hawera & Normanby Star, Volume XLII, Issue 7522, 24 July 1902, Page 2
Christchurch, July 23.
A man named John Burnett, 67 years, an old ago pensioner, was found
dead in his chair this evening.

The same article also in West Coast Times, Issue 12266, 24 July 1902, Page 3

Archives NZ's Archway website presently has only two files _so far_
listed on Archway containing the names THOLLAR and BURNETT
a 1986 Probate File for "BURNETT Kevin Thollar - Christchurch" [ref CH97/1986]
and a (restricted) Coroners inquest file for him at Wellington

Hope this helps
Graham Hoult
Kirwee, Canterbury

This thread: