NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2009-02 > 1235080116

From: "Patricia O'Shea" <>
Subject: [nz] Polio epidemic 1947
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:48:36 +1300

Dear listers. In research this week I came across a family who appear to have lost at least 2 children and possibly the mother in the year of 1947.

In thinking of causes (in lieu of undertaking the adventure of ordering certificates!) is the 1947 polio epidemic a possibility?

I cannot find any reference to the death toll from this epidemic although I do remember our school being closed for many weeks and our parents being very fearful of contagion.

Any thoughts? Other disease outbreaks at that time?

The location is probably East Coast between Raukokore and Opotiki.
Regards, Patsy

This thread: