NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2009-03 > 1236155817

From: "Anne Lemon" <>
Subject: [nz] More on some 'Larkins' passengers
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 21:36:57 +1300

>From my Otago Daily Times Jubilee Supplement Number, 1898, from the Biographical Notes of Settlers of the First Decade:

BAIN, John, born Edenborough(sic), October 31, 1843; arrived by Larkins 1849; engaged in farming and dairying pursuits at Halfway Bush; was councillor West Ward Borough Maori Hill. Family, four sons, two daughters.

BAIN, Mrs James, born Edenborough, Scotland, April 4, 1820; arrived by Larkins 1849; Family, five sons, one daughter. Now resides Maori Hill.

BOWER, Hugh, born Inverness-shire Feb 12, 1830; arrived by Larkins September 11 1849; was at first engaged at bushwork and subsequently farming. Family, four sons, two daughters.

BOWER, Joseph, born Edinburgh, October 22, 1835; arrived Larkins 1849; engaged shepherd, bush work, and farming 33 years. Eight family.

BROTHERSTON, Charles, born Edinburgh, 1822; came colony Larkins 1849; is carpenter; with exception of three years on Australian goldfields has resided Dunedin since landing.

McMASTER, Miss Arabella, and Jessie, born Argyleshire; arrived by Larkins 1849;settled at Waihola, where they still reside.

MILLER, Walter, well-known runholder of early days, arrived by Larkins 1849; was deeply impressed with capabilities of the country. Miller's Flat named after him; resides in Dunedin.

SALMOND, John, arrived with wife in Larkins September 1849; settled Tokomairiro 1850, still resides there. Family, three children, nine grandchildren.

SMITH, Peter, born Aboyne, Aberdeenshire, arrived by Larkins 1849; settled Clutha district, where he now resides. Family six.

STEVENSON, John, born Glasgow, 1840; arrived Larkins 1849; has been manager of Henley estate almost continuously since 1870.

A story about another passenger:

One of the first funerals at Port Chalmers was that of a passenger of the Larkins in 1849, Walker by name. He was a Maori, a member of the Church of England and catechumen of Bishop Selwyn. He had been sent to England to pursue his studies, and was returning to his home in the North Island, when one morning he was found dead in his bunk. A coffin was made and the burial deferred until the ship reached Port Chalmers. The coffin was taken to the cemetery covered with the Union Jack, and Captain Walmsley, late of the 56th Regiment officiated.

Anne, Amberley

This thread: