NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2010-09 > 1284767346

From: Blanche Charles <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Charles NATION and "The Ohakune Times"
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:49:06 +1200

To add to Wendy's advice, and for people who live out of Wellington and are unaware of these
changes, the National Library building on the corner of Molesworth & Aitken Streets has now been
evacuated for redevelopment and the library is operating out of temporary accommodation, with much
of its collection in storage. After identifying the most popularly used resources, the Library has
shifted that part of the Turnbull collection to the ArchivesNZ building, at the other end of Aitken
Street.

The family history collection is temporarily housed (in limited space) in a building at 77 Thorndon
Quay (opposite the Gateway Shopping complex next door to the railway station).

For visitors, there are steps alongside ArchivesNZ - Old St Paul's side - which bring you out
opposite the shops. Facing the shops, 77 is further to your left, just past Ngati Poneke marae.

A file on the NatLib website advises this, regarding newspaper access in the meantime:

Newspaper microfilms available at 77 Thorndon Quay

Newspapers in the National Newspaper Collection are available on microfilm only at the Library's
reading room at 77 Thorndon Quay, Wellington. The following newspapers are stored there and are
available on a self-service basis:

Auckland star
Nov 1886 to Aug 1991

Dominion
Sept 1907 to July 2002

Dompost July 2002 to the present
Evening post Feb 1865 to July 2002
Evening star (Auckland)
Mar 1870 to Nov 1886

New Zealand free lance
July 1900 to Nov 1960

New Zealand gazette Aug 1839 to Sept 1844
New Zealand herald Nov 1863 to the present
New Zealand mail Jan 1871 to Nov 1907
New Zealand observer
Sept 1880 to Nov 1954

New Zealand spectator Oct 1844 to Aug 1865
New Zealand times
June 1874 to Jan 1927

New Zealand truth
July 1906 to Dec 1988

NZ/Weekly graphic
May 1890 to Sept 1901

Otago daily times
Nov 1861 to the present

Otago witness
Jan 1851 to June 1932

Press (Christchurch)
May 1861 to the present

Weekly news/
Auckland weekly news
Nov 1863 to Aug 1971

Weekly press (Christchurch)
Feb 1865 to Oct 1928

Wellington Independent April 1845 to May 1874
Bulletin (Australia)
Jan 1880 to Dec 1957

South Australian register
May 1920 to Dec 1921

Sydney morning herald
April 1831 to Aug 1972

Illustrated London news
May 1842 to Dec 1950

All other newspapers on microfilm have to be brought from storage to Thorndon Quay for viewing.
These need to be ordered in advance using the 'request' facility on the online National Library of
New Zealand Catalogue.

Microfilms are delivered to 77 Thorndon Quay at approximately 10.15am, 12noon, 2pm, and 4pm each
weekday and need to be ordered at least an hour and a half before these times.

Microfilms required for viewing on Saturday mornings need to be ordered by 2.30 pm the previous day.

Further information about access to NatLib collections is available here:
http://www.natlib.govt.nz/about-us/building/access-collection-building-redevelopment

Blanche Charles
Kapiti Coast
New Zealand

OPC: St Allen, St Newlyn East, Perranzabuloe,Withiel
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~blanchec/index.htm

Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/

Wendy Howard <> wrote:

> Do any list members know where I might be able to view copies of The
> Ohakune Times in that period around 1910, either microfiche or paper?
> I'm in Tauranga, but will be down in Wellington for a few days in
> another couple of weeks, so if I can confirm a location before going
> down, I can make the trip more productive...

The National Library of New Zealand (http://www.natlib.govt.nz/) would
be my first port of call for something like this. If anyone has copies,
I expect they would.

This thread: