NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2010-09 > 1285481124

From: Blanche Charles <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Taita Cemetery
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:05:24 +1300

Hello Mike

Christ Church cemetery, Taita, has an index of graves and plot numbers and email and 0800 contacts
(see link, below).

With reference to the public cemetery, there is no online database. (I have no idea of the reason
for this, as the records have been computerised for a long time: the sexton has had immediate
recourse to them for some years and is always most helpful - when one rings or visits in person).
Most frustrating!

Contact phone number (from phone book / whitepages online, as opposed to website) : Taita Cemetery
Sextons Office 0-4-567 4859

Forget Downers. In spite of what the cemetery website says, they are basically the contractors who
dig the graves and maintain the grounds. The sexton is your man. (If he's not there when you ring,
he's pretty reliable about returning your call). Good luck.

Blanche Charles
Wellington - Kapiti Coast
New Zealand

NZ Cemeteries Online:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~blanchec/NewZealandCemeteriesOnline.htm

================================

Mike Mylonas <> wrote:

Just curious to know, I am looking to find out has anyone done any
listings of headstones etc at Taita Cemetery.

I grew up in the Hutt Valley, and I know where a few of the burial plots
for my family are (i.e. my mother and sister are buried at Taita Lawn
Cemetery, and my grandfather is up on the hill by the War Memorial), but
I know that a large number of my family are buried in the "Old" Taita
Cemetery.

It appears that I would need to contact Downers EDI as they seem to hold
the contract for Hutt City Council, but I am hoping that someone has
started a project to obtain an electronic database of this cemetery.

This thread: