NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-07 > 1310281457

From: Ainslie <>
Subject: Re: [nz] George Griffith's NZ Goldrush Adventure
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 16:34:17 +0930

Hi Lenore,

I don't suppose there are pictures of the tunnel on the Shotover River?
This was a tunnel blasted through the cliff at the bend of the river by
the Oxenbridge clan, led by Ned (Edmund) Oxenbridge, my great
grandfather. They were all goldminers who headed for Queenstown during
the goldrush era in the mid/late 1800/early 1900s

The had a good idea that blasting a tunnel would send the water through
the tunnel and further downstream, thus exposing the riverbed - and all
the alluvial gold trapped in the bed!
Good theory!! They finished late in the afternoon, storm clouds
building up! - and managed to scoop up quite a bit of gold before it
became too dark to see what they were doing.

Overnight a huge storm swept through the mountainous region - and next
morning - not a smidgin' of gold to be seen - all washed way downstream!!!

However, it turned out to be a veritable 'goldmine' for the current-day
operators of the jetboat which shoots through the tunnel with its
passengers from all four corners of the globe.

Cheers
Ainslie

This thread: