NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-07 > 1310854079

From: Wendy Howard <>
Subject: Re: [nz] BLUNT pre 1887
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:07:59 +1200

HI Paul,

> I am trying to ascertain when, and on which vessel, my maternal
> great-grandfather William John BLUNT arrived in New Zealand (probably
> Christchurch) pre 1887... I would also be interested in the arrival of Elizabeth ROUD prior to 1887.

Firstly, I have no connection to these people, just helping someone else
with their query.

Do you have the death registrations for these people, Paul? Amongst the
data that should have been recorded there is the length of time the
person had been in New Zealand. Assuming the informant knew the correct
information, of course, but it is a starting point if you want to narrow
down the time frame for your search.

Start by checking at BDM Online - Historical Records
(https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Home/) for your couple. I
can see two William John BLUNT's listed there, one who was 73 years old
when he died in 1930 (equating to a birth year around 1857), the other
was 80 years old when he died in 1969 (so born around 1889). Could the
former be your man?

You can purchase copies of registrations on that site. Be sure to get
the printout, not the legal certificate, for family history purposes.
(I explain why at
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NEW-ZEALAND/2010-04/1272342580)

If you don't want to order online, or are dealing with more recent
events that aren't on the historical site and don't have an iGovt
registration, you can order via ordinary mail- go to Births, Deaths &
Marriages (BDM, http://www.bdm.govt.nz/), click on the link "Family
History Records" down the left-hand side, then click on the link
"Request death, marriage, civil union, and name change certificates".
Scroll down the page to "Post your application form..." and click on the
link "Request for a Certificate (BDM 93 D, M, C, or N". Now you're at
http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Births-Deaths-and-Marriages-Forms-Fees-and-Information-Brochures?OpenDocument#five
where you can choose the appropriate form, download it, print it, fill
it in and send it off with your payment.

If you are a member of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists (NZSG,
http://www.genealogy.org.nz/)enquire at their Certificates Collection
before making purchases at BDM. If they're holding what you're looking
for, it is much cheaper.

There is no one source of shipping/passenger information, unfortunately,
so you'll need to start a systematic search (if Google doesn't lead you
straight there). My favourite sites include, in no particular order:

Beverley's transcriptions (http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ashleigh/)
Family Search (http://www.familysearch.org/) Click on the link
"Australia and New Zealand", then "New Zealand, Immigration Passenger
Lists, 1855-1973"
Denise & Peter's "Our Stuff"
(http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ourstuff/)
Olwyn's "NZ Bound"
(http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nzbound/)
Gavin's "Ships to NZ"
(http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~shipstonz/)
Corey's "Yesteryears" (http://www.yesteryears.co.nz/)
Ancestors On Board (http://www.ancestorsonboard.com/)
Public Record Office Victoria (http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/)
PapersPast (http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/)
Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives
(http://atojs.natlib.govt.nz/)
NZSG CD "Passenger Lists - Victoria, Australia Outwards to New Zealand
1852-1923"
(http://www.genealogy.org.nz/Products_48.aspx?CategoryId=11&pageId=0&ProductId=387)

Hope this helps. :-)

Kind Regards,