NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-07 > 1310978981

From: NZMR <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Carterton Cemetery Clareville.
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:49:41 +1200

Hi Adele,
So to clarify, you are looking for two headstones for chaps with
military service, but who don't have a CWGC headstone? As Hart died in
1955, he obviously wouldn't have one - who is the other person?

Most 'civilian' headstones for military chaps don't mention their
service - such as George William Hart, also a Boer War veteran in
Clareville.

Cheers
Phil

On 18/07/2011 5:03 p.m., Adele Pentony-Graham wrote:
> Not often I ask for help, but perhaps someone could help me on this
> project... I am after two soldiers graves, that do not have a
> Commonwealth War Grave Commission headstone at Clareville Cemetery. So
> this means that they are buried with a family member.
>
> I have come up with one so far, by checking records, and walking along
> each row ... No hurry, so perhaps when the weather warms up a bit and
> dries up, I can take more time to walk along each row, reading each
> headstone... but there again, the details of a War record may not be
> on the headstone!
>
> First one I have found, and knew off is for Walter Alfred Hart, he is
> buried in the RC area... he served in the S. African War...
> So we are looking at. S. A. Boer War... WW.1. and WW2.
>
> Many thanks.

This thread: