NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-07 > 1311076034

From: Graham Hoult <>
Subject: [nz] Samuel LINTERN
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 23:47:14 +1200

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 Lynda [posting as "Lynda's Lot"
<>] commented

>Beverley, just wanted to say "thank you" for sharing these shipping
>passenger lists with us.
>
>I'm still trying to find the ship my ancestor Samuel LINTERN came
>out on some time before 1867 and every time you post a list I keep
>my fingers crossed (shame on you for not finding the 'right' one,
>lol). Anyway, good job!
>
>Cheers, Lynda

Hi Lynda

You wrote "came out" which I take to be from England or elsewhere on
that side of the world.

Could he have spent some time in Australia?

Have you seen the references to a Samuel LINTERN on Trove,

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/

the Australian equivalent of Papers Past?

I found nine newspaper references from November 1859 through to
November 1867 when I searched for the phrase "Samuel Lintern". One
was from Queensland, the others in South Australia, and give details
of a property.

Be sure to include the quotation marks. It may be useful to include
an end year for your search.

Once you have opened the reference, it can help to use the 'find'
command on your web browser - or just scroll down the OCR'd (or
corrected) text until you find the highlighted text.

A search on just the surname LINTERN may well find other references
to Samuel if there are OCR errors.

Hope this helps
Graham Hoult
Kirwee, Canterbury.