NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-07 > 1311216404

From: Wendy Howard <>
Subject: Re: [nz] New Zealand Birth, Marriage and Death
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:46:44 +1200

Hi Angela,

> I would like to know if there is a website that I can look up the New Zealand BMD and find the birth and death certificates of my friend's great-grandfather. I understand that there is no name in the Mother's name in his certificate and so how can I do the research further for the mother's name?

How do you know that the birth certificate doesn't name the mother -
have you actually seen this certificate for yourself? Your choice of
words makes me think you haven't, and have only been told what it says.
If this is the case, I think you should ask to see it so you can be
clear about what is and isn't known. Is it the legal certificate that
you/they have there? Not all information that is recorded at the time
makes it on to the legal certificate, only that which the law says must
be there.

That being said, if the birth certificate does not name the mother, it
is unlikely that the printout will either - unless a mistake was made
when the certificate was created. But you may like to get the printout
and see what other data was recorded at the time. If I were you, I'd be
particularly interested to see where the birth took place, and who the
informant was.

The place to go for birth, death and marriage indexes is BDM Online -
Historical Records (https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Home/)

You can purchase copies of registrations on that site. Be sure to get
the printout, not the legal certificate, for family history purposes.
(I explain why at
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NEW-ZEALAND/2010-04/1272342580)

Check at https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/dataCollected/ to
see exactly what information should have been gathered at the time of
the event.

If you don't want to order online, or are dealing with more recent
events that aren't on the historical site and don't have an iGovt
registration, you can order via ordinary mail- go to Births, Deaths &
Marriages (BDM, http://www.bdm.govt.nz/), click on the link "Family
History Records" down the left-hand side, then click on the link
"Request death, marriage, civil union, and name change certificates".
Scroll down the page to "Post your application form..." and click on the
link "Request for a Certificate (BDM 93 D, M, C, or N". Now you're at
http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Births-Deaths-and-Marriages-Forms-Fees-and-Information-Brochures?OpenDocument#five
where you can choose the appropriate form, download it, print it, fill
it in and send it off with your payment.

If you are a member of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists (NZSG,
http://www.genealogy.org.nz/)enquire at their Certificates Collection
before making purchases at BDM. If they're holding what you're looking
for, it is much cheaper.

Lastly, it can help to name names here on the list - you never know when
someone else in the family is reading the list, or finds your post later
on in the archives, and makes contact. They may know the answers to
your questions. It's happened to me in the past!

Hope this helps. :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard

*** Please reply to the list ***