NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-07 > 1311283077

From: "Nivard Ovington" <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Sawyers
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 22:17:57 +0100

With great respect to all

Wendy is quite correct , although there will be sawyers here there and everywhere , they may not all
be doing the same thing so asking on a list relevant to the sighting is most beneficial

In this case one sawyer is likely to be the same as the next but there are occupations that mean one
thing in one country and something else in another

Generally asking on a list for the local area is the best idea

But I think it safe to say this chap was probably doing much the same job as was done all over the
world

I did have one person who was quite excited at finding a Lawyer in the family, until I pointed out
that he was but a humble Sawyer instead <g>

Nivard Ovington in Cornwall (UK)

>I agree with Ainslie as I have several ancestors arriving in NZ in 1841 who were sawyers in the
>Wellington area. My ggg grandfather and sons were occupied in Karori as sawyers cutting down timber
>and in 1852 donating 600 ft of timber towards the building of the local Karori church.
> Deb

This thread: