NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-07 > 1311290638

From: Ainslie <>
Subject: [nz] Re trade definitions.
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 08:53:58 +0930

Frankly, I don't see any major hassle for a NZ (or Australian) list
member to first ask of their own list members for clarification on an
early settler's job description. There could well be someone else on
the list who had the same occupation in their own family tree.
If for only the one reason being that you get a reply back within the
same time frame instead of a possible12 hour wait for our UK friends to
wake up and read their emails!!

There is a great website
http://www.genproxy.co.uk/old_trades_occupations.htm
which lists a long list of trades and job descriptions.

ie Sawyer sawer of wood; carpenter
Given that the priority for our early settlers was housing, and that the
raw material was plentiful in tropical and temperate rainforest regions
of the colony then such tradespeople were essential to ensure we had
housing for the numbers of settlers who were being shipped out here in
droves.

My tuppence worth!
Ainslie.

This thread: