NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-07 > 1311297072

From: Joanna Broad <>
Subject: [nz] pre-1847 BMD registrations in NSW & headstones from Sydney
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:11:12 -0700 (PDT)

Olwyn's email reminded me of something I was told ages ago and don't recall seeing discussed on this list.

I was told that pre-1847 some NZ BMDs were registered in NSW - I presume because  NZ was "governed" or whatever from there for a short period. I don't know if this is true or not, or if true, for what period it may be worth searching there.

Has anyone ever had success in finding a NZ birth, marriage or death in NSW?  Their online search information is at:
  http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm#Search

And second to that, I am aware that some headstones in our cemeteries were ordered  and imported from Sydney. Has anyone had experience in tracing information from stone.masons there?

Cheers all,
jo

Jo Broad

This thread: