NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-07 > 1311324780

From: "Nivard Ovington" <>
Subject: Re: [nz] the sawyer debate
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:53:00 +0100

Hi Nyle

A sawyer could be a man working on his own or working for a Saw Mill owner
(the Saw Mill owner could also be called a Sawyer)

Either way his primary occupation was taking felled trees and converting them into usable timber for
furniture, building etc

It was never a term for a Carpenter who would be apprenticed and time served, before becoming a
Journeyman, then Master

A carpenter was a much more skilled trade than a sawyer

Nivard Ovington in Cornwall (UK)

> Personally, I have never seen any of the mill men referred to as a sawer or
> sawyer in the records or publications, and I rather suspect the term
> sawer/sawyer was originally used for journeymen carpenters and woodworkers
> rather than timber millers.
>
> Nyle

This thread: