NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-07 > 1311325100

From: Ainslie <>
Subject: Re: [nz] pre-1847 BMD registrations in NSW & headstones from Sydney
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 18:28:20 +0930

Hi folks,

Interesting idea that NZ was governed from NSW in the early days.

Reminds me of chasing up alikely connection between my late grandfather's birth father and another early colonial official.

I found archived documents online with the information that the NZ authorities called on reinforcements of troops from the NSW Corp to help quell the Maori Uprising in the 1860s.
One of these military men from the NSW Corp who took up the offer was subsequently granted land near Invercargill.
He became the Barrack Master in Invercargill and then made the Migration Officer and in this position was able to arrange for my grandfather's subsequent adoption into the Stroud family.

I am still trying to find out if this H.V.Lillicrap and my grandfather's birth father were fellow officers in HM's regiment. This could well be why correspondence was received by Lillicrap throughout my grandfather's early years until he left for England in his mid teens. According to family stories money was transmitted to Invercargill for Lillicrap to dispense for the lad's education (and no doubt his fare to England)

If there a archived documents kept for those early years of Migration into Southland then I've certainly welcome a pointer as to how to access them!?! - from Australia!

Cheers
Ainslie.

This thread: