NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-07 > 1311481336

From: "John Wilson" <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Sidney (Sydney) Percy Roberts
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 16:22:16 +1200

Hi Bryan:

Sydney Percy Roberts is No 6/1970 in the NZEF in WWI; his file at Archives
NZ has not been diditised, but I will request that when I am in Archives.
They should give the date and place of birth he claimed when he enlisted,
though no certificate was required, so it may not be correct! Possibly if he
had WWII service there would be a file at the NZDF Archives, though if for
Home Guard they were destroyed (as were a lot of WWI files for those who had
a medical examination but were not enlisted).
http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=20806495

The WWI CD gave his number and next-of-kin.
Surname ROBERTS
Given Name Sydney Percy
Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1
Regimental Number 6/1970
Rank Private
Body or Draft Fourth
Unit or Regiment Canterbury Infantry Batln
Marital Status S
Last NZ Address 55 Elizabeth St Timaru
Next of Kin Title Harry
Next of Kin Surname ROBERTS
Next of Kin Relationship Father
Next of Kin Address Claremont Western Australia

Yours, John Wilson

> Hi List
> I am trying to locate the birth details of my father in law, Sidney or
> Sydney Percy Roberts possibly born in Warrnambool Victoria Australia. He
> varied his DOB between 28 June 1887 and 1894 to suit his purpose at the
> time. My observations would lean me towards 1887. He arrived in NZ with
> brother Harry possibly 1914. His live in NZ is reasonably well documented
> having served in the NZ Army in both world wars. His father Harry was
> living in Claremont WA in August 1915. Can anyone help me or point me in
> the right direction?
>
> Regards, Bryan

This thread: