NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-07 > 1312160392

Subject: [nz] William and Henry CLIFFORD
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 12:59:52 +1200 (NZST)

Hi Julie
Not sure where you are up to with this research. As you more than likely
know, Henry and William are difficult given names to work with unless you
know a second given name. Without knowing the family names to recognise
(with the exception of Tryphena Clifford BEER) it's too hard to be more
specific for you.

There are quite a few people researching this family on www.ancestry.com.au.
Do you have a subscription?? You may be surprised at the info you could
track.

Do you have a subscription to NZ Society of Genealogists - very inexpensive
if you live in NZ (I think you are from Oz, living in Whanganui from memory
?) I had a quick look at my resources and it appears that William may have
lived in Dunedin and Henry may have lived around central Otago area. My
suggestion would be to contact NZSociety of Genealogists Southland Branch -
google for their contact details. It appears that someone has/is
researching this family.

There is a Henry CLIFFORD who died at Clinton (Southland) and left a WILL
which can be accessed through Archives NZ - Dunedin Branch.....is this your
Henry??

www.paperspast.co.nz is a good site
www.archway.archives.govt.nz is a good site

I would tend to work back from Tryphena CLIFFORD who married George BEER and
lived in Mossburn. Tryphena BEER died in Waitati which is near Dunedin,
24/7/1926 She is probably buried at either Dunedin (Anderson's Bay) or
Palmerston South (between Dunedin and Oamaru). I did see that Tryphena and
George had quite a few children so that's always a good sign for research
purposed through to 2011 :-))

They had a daughter Tryphena Clifford BEER who married and divorced George
Cockburn RAE (1941-1945 period). He remarried but she didn't. She died and
is buried at Gore Cemetery.

So you can see, they are likely to be from the Southland Province, rather
than Canterbury Province in the South Island.

Good luck with the hunting.
Sandra
Auckland New Zealand