NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-08 > 1314215598

From: Ian Westergaard <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Errors !! at official NZ Births,Deaths and Marriages office (was Family trees online)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:53:18 +1200

I assume that the certificate that you now have is a copy of the one
completed by the officiating minister/priest at the time of the marriage?

In which case there should be an entry in the church register. Have you
checked with the relevant church archives?

It could be interesting to see if any other records in that register are
not in the official BMD records.

Regards

Ian Westergaard

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:48:03 +1200, "Somers" <> wrote:
> Hi Listers
>
> Yes, it does happen.
>
> About 12 years ago I was looking long and hard for my Grandfather's
> Marriage
> Certificate (1st Marriage - 1912). I even drove down to Hamilton to look
> in
> the beautifully bound registers at the Library for an Intent to Marry. I

> was perplexed as I found all his siblings Intent to Marry and some of the

> neighbours whose names I recognised, but NO GRANDFATHER, nor under
> GRANDMOTHER'S name.
>
> I wrote to Births Deaths and Marriages in Wellington requesting a Fee
> Search. I received a letter back stating they could not find any record
> and
> had even researched two years either side of the date/year I had given
> them.
>
> About five years ago I was visiting an older cousin in Melbourne,
Australia