NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-08 > 1314227599

From: "ListMail" <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Errors !! at official NZ Births,Deaths and Marriages office (was Family trees online)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:13:19 +1200

As I understand the NZ civil registration system it was the same as for
England and Wales.

Births and deaths were entered in the local registers and then at the end of
that registration period returns of all entries were sent to "head office"
to be included in the national register. It is possible that some local
information never got to head office.

Copies of the entries in the registers were made on the the forms known as
certificates, usually at time of registration.

When you write to DIA with queries I do not for one minute think they refer
to the original registers, either local or national, but to the images of
the national ones they had captured electronically using a contractor. If
the contractor missed a page of entries here and there then the DIA staff
are not to know.

I believe all local registers were recalled and at one time were stored at
the Lower Hutt office. Where they are now is anyone's guess, but hopefully
at National Archives.

Keith Wellington