NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-08 > 1314262876

From: Dorothy Gaunt <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Errors !! at official NZ Births,Deaths and Marriages office (was Family trees online)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:01:16 +1200

Just to add my 2 cents' worth.
I requested a copy of my gt gt grandmother's death certificate (Anne
CAMERON nee JEFFS, died in 1870) but was told it could not be found despite
searching on each side of the given year. But I had actually SEEN the entry
when the originals could be viewed at Lower Hutt and I knew that she had
'died of a fever'. (How could I have made that up?) I wrote to tell them
this but was simply not believed.

And a Death certificate for her daughter (Catherine HUMPHRYS nee CAMERON,
died 1908) stated that she had two male living issue but the offspring were
my grandmother and her sister. This certificate was issued in 1978 before I
was really into genealogy and I didn't do anything about it at the time. I
wonder if it's worth letting them know now...

Dorothy
#7172-----

Copies of the entries in the registers were made on the the forms known as
certificates, usually at time of registration.

When you write to DIA with queries I do not for one minute think they refer
to the original registers, either local or national, but to the images of
the national ones they had captured electronically using a contractor. If
the contractor missed a page of entries here and there then the DIA staff
are not to know.

I believe all local registers were recalled and at one time were stored at
the Lower Hutt office. Where they are now is anyone's guess, but hopefully
at National Archives.

Keith Wellington