NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-11 > 1320400816

From: "Nivard Ovington" <>
Subject: Re: [nz] How old is this photograph?
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 10:00:17 -0000

Hi Hayden

Your photo links appear to be intertwined, try these

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rbBzv-syeSc/TrOdC0sKwDI/AAAAAAAAA4s/IUFHDnM_CHM/s504/>

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ivdxAzqe0RE/TrOdCrSXfDI/AAAAAAAAA4o/BdlWe7Y5uE4/s504/Unknown2.jpg>

Hard to date as the clothes do not suggest a particular period to me, from the style of the photo on
card backing alone it suggests post 1900, possibly post 1910

I would say its a husband and wife or father and daughter but IMHO certainly not son and mother

Nivard Ovington in Cornwall (UK)

> Hi Everyone,
> I have been trying to work this one out for quite some time.
> When my great grandmother passed away (b. 1905), there were some photographs that I managed to get
> my hands on (thankfully as a family member was going to throw them out!) and this one has
> intrigued me ever since i've had it in my possession.
> It is roughly 8.5cm / 6.5cm - the photo paper is glued (?) onto a cardboard backing. It is very
> light sepia in colour.
> I am estimating that the subjects in the photo are either in their late 50's to early 60's. If I
> can get some kind of indication as to when the photo was taken or how old it is, perhaps I can
> pinpoint who the people are? I have no idea re: period fashion or costume so I have no clues here
> either. I've always thought that it was a husband/wife photo, but upon closer inspection it could
> be son and mother. Thoughts?
> The links to the photos are below: Link one is the photo in it's current form unedited. The second
> link is the photo that I have tried to "enhance" with Photoshop (not like it really helps!).
> https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rbBzv-syeSc/TrOdC0sKwDI/AAAAAAAAA4s/IUFHDnM_CHM/s504/Unknown.jpghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ivdxAzqe0RE/TrOdCrSXfDI/AAAAAAAAA4o/BdlWe7Y5uE4/s504/Unknown2.jpg
> Anyway thought i'd throw this out to the professionals!
> Thanks for your help!
> Hayden

This thread: